Completion of Grace
Confirmation brings to completion the grace received through Baptism. By this Sacrament the Baptized are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched by the strength of the Holy Spirit. This gift conforms believers more fully to Christ and strengthens them to bear witness to Christ for the building up of his body in faith and love.
The Diocese of Greensburg has official qualifications of confirmation sponsors, as well as several guidelines and/or recommendations.
Confirmation for Candidates in 8th Grade will be on Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 10am here at St. John the Baptist.
If your child has not yet received the Sacrament of Confirmation, they must attend Faith Formation and/or Youth Ministry and Sacramental Preparation.
If you are 16 or older and have not yet received this beautiful Sacrament and would like to, please contact Scott Martin at 724-736-0158.
Qualifications of Confirmation Sponsors
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received baptism, confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
Sponsors for the Sacrament of Confirmation must abide by the same qualifications as sponsors for the Sacrament of Baptism . In addition, the following guidelines and/or recommendations apply:
- There is normally one sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation.
- It is recommended that a baptismal godparent exercise the role of confirmation sponsor.
- A non-Catholic may not serve as a sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation. (It is discouraged that a spouse serve as confirmation sponsor).
Our Parish continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship (in accord with the qualifications above) from the parish in which the sponsor is registered.